Lime Rock Baptist Church logo

Lime Rock Outdoors

Chapel History

The outdoor chapel was not even a dream until a bell was donated to the Lime Rock Baptist in the 1970's by Jessie and Alice Knowles.

This 1899 bell was in the Fairlawn Fire Station bell tower for many years until Jessie Knowles had the building torn down to make way for a newer use of his land. Hence, the bell came available.

For many years thereafter, the bell was stored in Dick and Doris Johnson's barn, ultimately making its way to the present location.

May 1991: "The Hole" was dug, under Herb O'Rourke and Dick Theodoroff's supervision.

September 29, 1991: A Thanksgiving and Blessing Service for the outdoor chapel site was conducted. A large group attended including Rev. Peer Carman, Rev. Everett Bauer, Alice Knowles, Hubert O'Rourke and Richard and Lillie Johanson.

September 5, 1992: Herb O'Rourke, Bob Tucker and Dick Theodoroff still at work.

June 1995: The outside chapel altar was completed.

December 12, 1999: The chapel bell was installed by Herb O'Rourke and Bob Tucker and was rung for the first time.

December 31, 1999: A "New Years Watch Night Service" was held at the bell tower site and the newly installed bell, caste in 1899, was rung at midnight to usher out the old and herald in the new Millennium.

October 2, 2004: The first wedding was held at the not yet completed outdoor chapel, where Jennifer Taylor and Trevor Clarke exchanged vows with Rev. G. Travis Norvell.

October-November 2007: Under Bernie Plante and Paul Bateson's supervision of a crew consisting of Ron Rivet, Al Lawton and Steve Allen, the roof over the bell tower (designed by Bernie Plante) was completed. Then the pathway from the bell tower to the alter was completed. Shortly thereafter a new cross to replace the old one was built by Bernie Plante and erected by Bernie Plante and his crew.

May 2008: Bernie Plante, Paul Bateson, Ron Rivet, Matthew Lawton and Al Lawton place the new benches at the outdoor chapel. The benches were donated by Betty and Forrest Lawton's children (Janice, Albert and Wayne) in memory of their parents.

July 13, 2008: The first Sunday Worship Service was held at the outdoor chapel. Deacon Christine Maino was the reader of the Gospel and Scripture lessons. Deacon Albert Lawton gave the Sermon "Christian Faith and the Resurrection" and music was provided by Richard Anatone, Pianist.

July 2008: Jim and Denise Metz donated two flower urns for the Outside Chapel alter.

August 3, 2008: The first Communion Sunday Worship Service, was conducted by Rev. Travis Norvell, was held at the Outdoor Chapel.

In the spring of 2009 trees and bushes will be planted through a donation by the grandchildren and great grandchildren of Etta and Americo Pasquazzi, in memory of their grand and great grand parents.

ArrowIcon BloggerIcon AimIcon DeliciousIcon PaperIcon EtsyIcon FacebookIcon FilmStripIcon FlickrIcon CameraIcon LaunchIcon GooglePlus2Icon GooglePlusIcon HeartIcon InformationIcon InstagramIcon LastfmIcon FrontCameraIcon LinkedInIcon EmailIcon MoneyIcon ItunesIcon MyspaceIcon OpenTableIcon PayPalIcon PencilIcon PersonIcon PhotoIcon PicasaIcon PinterestIcon PodcastIcon RssIcon ShoppingCartIcon SoundCloudIcon StarIcon TableProjectIcon TheCityIcon TumblrIcon Twitter2Icon TwitterIcon TypepadIcon VideoIcon VimeoIcon WordPressIcon YelpIcon YoutubeIcon